Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The Wife of Bath Will Not Take Your Nonsense



This being my first experience with Middle English, I have to admit that reading The Canterbury Tales has been a bit daunting. Much like the training wheels on my first bike, the footnotes and helpful hints in the margins have been the only things keeping me from falling flat on my face and crying to my mom.

                                                https://playingintheworldgame.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/power.jpg
How I feel reading Middle English 


 Aside from my struggles with the language, I’m really looking forward to reading more of these characters’ tales! This concept of a storytelling contest brings me back to the days of trying to one-up each other’s campfire stories at Girl Scout camp. Since many of these characters seem a bit grittier (@Somonour) than most of the girls in my Brownie troop, I’m sure these tales will entertain to say the least. 
 http://www.optionated.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/936full-scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark-cover.jpg
Anyone else guilty of peddling these stories as their own?

After reading the Prologue of the Wife of Bath’s Tale, I’m definitely ready to hear more of what she has to say! I’m a big fan of her saucy attitude, and I love how she’s always got some biblical knowledge to back up her choices.

http://tattooimages.biz/images/gallery/Great_only_God_can_judge_me_quote_tattoo_on_arm.jpg.pagespeed.ce.jq5-vimJD3.jpg
Tell 'em, W.O.B.
 

Sure she’s been bouncing around from husband to husband since she was a preteen, but at least she owns it! I would love to see another character try to confront her about her choices, because I’m certain she would serve up a vicious verbal take-down, and honestly I’m here for it. 


Wife of Bath 2016: Make Canterbury Saucy Again

Chaucer, Geoffrey. The Canterbury Tales. N.p.: W.W. Norton &, n.d. Print. 

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't thought of the campfire stories comparison, but that is so true! Remember what Dr. MB said about the Prioress's tale? "Gritty" barely covers it. I also really like the WoB's tone. I wish I had the courage to stand up for my life choices the way she clearly does.

    ReplyDelete