Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Double, double toil and trouble

First off, what could be more appropriate than reading about witches a week before Halloween? Now, Shakespeare was definitely a fan of incorporating supernatural elements into his plays, but for some reason, the witches and the presence of Hecate in act three of Macbeth, seem a little odd to me. It could be because they are in the context of a tragedy and we typically do not associate these kinds of gimmicky devices in that type of genre, right? Supernatural forces are also at play in Hamlet, but yet, the ghost does not come off as gimmicky (sorry, can’t think of another word to use.) There is a believable component to him. One thing that makes the witches seem kind of silly is their language. They speak in rhymes, which I always have a hard time taking seriously.

  

“Double, double toil and trouble.” How does this line not take you back to your childhood? I did not even know that line was from Macbeth, which I thought was pretty cool, but somehow it got turned into a children’s Halloween movie.

 


Don’t get me wrong, I love the incorporation of the supernatural elements. It is much more entertaining than a very dry tragedy, but I still take the play slightly less serious when the witches come into play. In spite of it, Macbeth definitely take the witches and their apparitions very seriously. In fact, their prophesies are what cause his murderous, downward spiral in the first place. So what exactly is the intended reaction of the audience supposed to be? Am I the only one who feels that the presence of the witches makes the play slightly less serious? Or is what is supposed to be the tragedy, that something like the words of a witch, are what prompts such tragic events to unfold?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that you should say this, Krystle. I had similar thoughts when when we watched the apparition scene in class. The singing really threw me off. I was tempted to laugh a little at first, because the idea of the witches being musical is not something I associate with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that us as the reader, or the observer, seeing the witches as these out of place figures makes Macbeth seem even more insane. We would not see these witches as someone that could foretell our prophecy, so why is Macbeth killing people over what they said? Macbeth' choices seem extremely tragic (get it because it's a tragedy) to us because he murders his friends simply because of what these random three witches said in the woods.

    ReplyDelete