Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Quite the Knight


I must say that I am quite surprised by the descriptions of the characters so far. The knight is kind and noble, yet dressed in a tunic. But, I guess a tunic could range anywhere from: 

http://www.medievalages.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/medieval-knight.jpg
http://www.medievalages.net
http://clickandlol.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/medieval-knight.png
http://quotesgram.com/


Complex

                 to
                                
 
                        Simple

 



However, considering the fact that his clothes are compared by the narrator to to the outfits of the horses, and for the knight to lose that fashion contest, is saying something. 


http://giphy.com/search/knight/4
The narrator does seem to hold the knight in high regard, he is amazed by all the different places he has traveled and how he had “foughten for oure feith” (63). He even concludes by saying that the knight is “a verray, parfit, gentil knight” (72). Essentially that the knight is the picture perfect image of the characteristics a knight should have (according to how we see it today at least).  He was a knight of all honor and glory but he did not rub it in people's faces. For from the haughty knight I am used to reading about. 


On that note, what is up with this squire! He is the son of the knight and he is essentially the prince in the making from every fairytale princess story growing up. He is 20 years old, with naturally curly locks, who is training to become a knight. He is agile, strong, and has been to many lands far and wide even in his young age. He even sings and whistles all day long! If that does not sound like a man who would break out in random songs with his one true love then no man will.  



2 comments:


  1. Whenever I think of knights, I think of “shrubbery.” I think of two knights engaged deeply in battle with two long, big, shiny swords that are nearly as tall as the knights. Knights uphold themselves to honor, and loyalty. If you don’t know by now when I think of knights I think of Monty Python with a bunch of Frenchmen throwing rubber chickens over the castle walls. I think of funny mustaches. I think of one arm being cut off from one knight. I think of a leg being cut off from the other. I think of both knights deep in battle. I think of the next arm coming off. I think of the next leg coming off. I think of them being left with only their mouth and their mid section while remaining deeply engrossed in battle. Yet, they both continue saying honorable things. Then they just fall over and there ends the battle. It is funny how a system of knights turns into an aristocracy with people of high class and prestige. It turns into this whole thing without swords. These knights sound fictitious as they would say, but in all honesty I think knights were really like that. To tell you the truth, I think you should look up that particular scene in “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” or just watch the whole movie because it gives deep insight to this text.
    I affirm that I “have neither given nor received any unauthorized aid on this paper”
    Alex Cooper
    Alexander Stephen Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  2. The descriptions of the knight and the squire gave me a feeling that the two will have a bit of a 'son who doesn't live up to his father's expectations' dynamic. The knight seems very noble, mighty, and humble, and his son seems to be... kind of a flowery pretty boy who doesn't quite understand the point of knighthood and wants the glory (and women, judging by how much 'action' he supposedly gets) that come with it. I'm not sure if that'll be the case, but the two seem very different and I'll be interested to see if their personalities clash at any point in the tales.

    ReplyDelete