Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Dragons are Cool.. So Beowulf Wins..Then Dies?

     So first off even though the dragon is another foe for Beowulf I still think it’s pretty cool. Dragons are interesting creatures to be the bad guy in a story. When the narrator was talking about the dragon setting the town on fire I could help but imagine the dragon that Harry had to fight in the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. As well as Dragon from Shrek and how they were both protecting something like the dragon in the story, one was protecting a golden egg and the other was protecting the castle and Princess Fiona.





      Out of the foes that Beowulf had I really liked the dragon. Maybe it was because when you think about a dragon you kind of get this cool, bad-ass vibe. Plus all the dragon wanted to do was protect his things and when he set the town on fire he became a problem that Beowulf couldn’t help but fight. Kind of like Grendel’s Mom who just wanted to avenge her little boy.


       Beowulf’s soldiers suck! I get that they don’t want to be a dragon’s lunch but they kind of signed up for the job when they became soldiers. Especially if Beowulf needs you to be there even if you’re just bait so he can regain his strength you have to do your job. You may not have signed up for that particular job, but it’s your job.



      Beowulf should have listed to Hrothgar when he was talking about Beowulf not getting a big head and being humble. Maybe if he did he would still be alive. It was portrayed well when the narrator stated, “…he did not dread that attack, nor did he worry much about the dragon’s warfare, his strength or valor, because he had survived many battles…” (Lines 2347-2350). Maybe if he wasn’t so full of himself he would have been more careful. Although he did win his battle which is also kinda cool and has the legacy of defeating a dragon before he died. He died a great hero.


2 comments:

  1. Love the use of Gifs! The dragon was my favorite enemy too! I agree that it was Beowulfs pride that was his downfall and if he had only listened to Hrothgar he would've lived to see another day. Although he died a great hero, I don't think he died a great King. He left his kingdom with no heir and they will most likely be invaded and wiped out. He was indeed a great warrior, but not such a great King.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your dragon statement. I really feel bad for the dragon because, like you said, it was only trying to protect its possessions. I know that it's just a necessary part of the storyline, but I don't have to like it! It's kind of funny that I'm siding with a dragon (I probably wouldn't if I had lived in the village it burned down), but someone has to stick up for the misfits sometimes!

    ReplyDelete